1 tbsp oil – sesame if you have
1 red onion, chopped finely
1 crushed garlic clove
1 finely chopped and peeled thumb sized piece of ginger
1 red chilli, sliced finely
1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
2 kumara cut into even chunks
300g red split lentils
650 ml vegetable stock
4 spring onion sliced diagonally to garnish with
- Heat oil in a large pan with lid.
- Add finely chopped red onion. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring until soft.
- Add crushed garlic clove, finely chopped ginger, and chilli. Cook for 1 minute. Add ground turmeric and ground cumin and cook for 1 more minute.
- Increase heat to medium and add kumara chunks. Stir it all together so the Kumara is evenly coated in the spice mix.
- Tip in red lentils, vegetable stock and some salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, turn down heat, cover and let cook for approx 25 mins or until the lentils are tender. Add seasoning to taste. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Serve with spring onion across top as garnish.