(VEGAN + GF)
Yield: 10 fritters
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Delicious green pea fritters that are good for you and kid-friendly!
- 250 g / 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for baking
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 140 g / 1 1/2 cups besan flour, (or chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp mixed fresh or dried herbs, finely chopped (I used mixed dried Italian herbs)
Herby Yoghurt Dipping sauce
- 1 cup Soy yoghurt
- Mixed fresh or dried herbs, finely chopped (I used fresh rosemary, parsley and mint)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the peas to a medium saucepan, cover with water and boil, according to packet’s instructions and drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the peas, onions and garlic to a food processor and pulse until it becomes a thick paste. Alternatively, you can use a masher to mix it by hand.
- Stir in the chickpea flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and herbs.
- The mixture is quite sticky so you will need to wet your hands to shape them into patties. Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture, roll into a ball and press down slightly to create a patty shape on the baking sheet.
- Brush with fritters with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown, flipping them over half way.
- Eat right away or keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them and reheat from frozen.
For the dipping sauce
- Simply mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small dish, along with the fritters.