Makes 6 Servings
- onion, chopped or thinly sliced (1)
- chopped tomatoes, or 1 1/2 cups freshly chopped tomatoes (1 can)
- cayenne pepper (1/8 teaspoon)
- cinnamon (1/4 teaspoon)
- ground ginger (1/4 teaspoon)
- ground coriander (1/2 teaspoon)
- turmeric (1/2 teaspoon)
- cumin seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
- cauliflower, broken or cut into bite-size florets (3 cups)
- chopped (peeling optional) (2 potatoes)
- salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Heat 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) water in a large pot.
- Add onion and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add potatoes and cauliflower. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed to prevent sticking.
- Toast cumin seeds, turmeric, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne in a dry skillet over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add spices to vegetables along with tomatoes and salt. Stir to mix, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until flavors are blended.
- Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Potato and Cauliflower Curry will keep for up to 3 days.
- Variation: For a sweeter curry, add 1/2 cup golden raisins or 2 tablespoons of apple juice concentrate in with the tomatoes and salt.